Three surfers pronounced dead after incident at Mawgan Porth, near Newquay

THREE surfers have died after being pulled from the sea and airlifted to hospital in Truro following a major incident at Mawgan Porth, near Newquay, this afternoon.
The trio were among a group seven people, including four children, on boards in the water. The four young people, whose ages are unknown, were located safely on shore, but two adults were given CPR at the scene and all three adults were then airlifted to hospital.

Police have now reported that all three adults have died.
A statement from Devon and Cornwall Police said: "Three people were taken unconscious from the sea and taken to Treliske for treatment in a serious condition. Sadly all three people were later pronounced deceased in hospital. They are two men and one woman.

"The victims have not yet been identified and police are currently tracing their next of kin. The remaining four people are accounted for and are safe."

Supt Jim Pearce said: “This is a tragic incident and our condolences go out to the families of those involved. Along with the other emergency services we are now working to ascertain the full circumstances of this incident and our priority is to contact the families of those involved and offer all the support we can.”

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency said it received multiple 999 calls from people at Mawgan Porth beach from around 1.15pm this afternoon.

It said in a statement: "The group who got into difficulty consisted of seven people with boards in the water; four people were all located safe and well on shore but three adults were recovered from the water.
"Two of those recovered from the water were given CPR at the scene. The three casualties were transferred to hospital by the rescue helicopter from RNAS Culdrose and both the Devon and Cornwall Air Ambulances."
Falmouth Coastguard was called at 1.15pm and scrambled the air ambulances from Devon and Cornwall, along with the Sea King helicopter from RNAS Culdrose to the beach.

The incident also involved lifeboat crews from Newquay and Padstow, coastguard rescue teams, as well as at least six police cars and several ambulances.

A Falmouth Coastguard spokesman said the incident was being wound down just before 4pm.
He said: "There were three surfers taken from the water. All three have been taken to Treliske by a combination of rescue helicopter from Culdrose and two air ambulances."
Martin Leslie, coastguard area commander, who was at the scene, said; "There was a report from members of the public that a number of people were in difficulty - up to five of them.

"From their injuries, it was apparent they had been in the water for some time. We are now pretty confident that all persons have now been recovered and accounted for, although coastguard teams are still on the clifftop overlooking the beach and liaising with the police at this present time."
The Merrymoor Inn at Mawgan Porth overlooks the beach and have been dealing with the emergency services this afternoon.

A pub spokesman said: "The emergency services were here incredibly quickly. It was out of this world. They brought some of them into the pub wrapped in blankets but it is terrible, what has happened."
There were rough seas on the north coast this afternoon and there are not believed to be any lifeguards on duty on the beach at this time of year.

Experienced surfer Darell Miller sad he had gone surfing this morning at nearby Watergate Bay and conditions there were rough.

He added: "I imagine it was a lot worse here because the sea funnels in."
The beach has been closed and coastguards are now combing the area for any personal belongings

Next Post »